22 June 2009

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Woke up at 9:30. Despite the incredibly loud group of French college kids who live across the way and blast Britney Spears, I slept like a rock. Isabelle had already left for the market, but left me a table full of breakfast foods. I had some cereal because it had oats so I figured it would be good for me, and a banana. Apparently she’s really into organic and local foods, so she has raw sugar, etc. I showered, then got ready to go to our group’s picnic in a park about 5 minutes walk from my place. Isabelle gave me the key to our place—skeleton key!!! It’s so sweet. I bought a drink from the café next door, and made my way to the park (super easy to get to). We made our introductions, and then ate lunch. I mainly talked with Alex M. and a girl named Lara. Everyone’s really nice. We spoke French for the entire lunch, but after that things sort of went downhill. We took a tram to the university, but weren’t shown inside at all. That’s where the professors left us, so a huge group of us (all but 4-5) took the tram back to the old (historic) part of downtown and sat at an outdoor café and drank some wine. Then we meandered around, and split off- I went back with some girls, it was almost time for supper for me, and I wanted to see if Isabelle had wifi, or if I could get it somewhere. Another group of around 5 went to a bar. Isabelle unfortunately does not have wifi, which is a shame because apparently most everyone in our group does. However, we have 5 hours free at the internet café NEXT DOOR. The park across the street has free wifi, and in two weeks we’ll have access to wifi at the university, so it’s not a huge deal. I went to the park just now, and connected for free, but it started to rain so I couldn’t do much. Also, I took a picture of the mountain down the street, and I’m pretty sure that a French man opened his car door and yelled at me because he thought I took the picture of him??? OOOOKKKKK. Also, apparently a lot of the other students have a ton of chocolate in their house and at meals (including breakfast), so I was kind of jealous of that. But I don’t know if the chocolate is worth the 30 minute tram ride into town.
After dinner tonight, a group of us is meeting at 9 in the park for Fete de la Musique, a free music festival. I don’t plan on being out too too late though, because our class starts at 9 tomorrow morning, so I’ll have to tram it over earlier than that.
My apartment is super tiny. Bathroom and kitchen are really small, and then there are just two bedrooms- one’s hers and the other mine. However, my room is really big, so I’m not complaining. It’s strange though how there’s no common space. Isabelle has a 20 year old daughter, Liza, but she lives with her boyfriend (or maybe just a friend? I’m not quite sure). I have her old room. Haven’t met her yet, but I probably will. Quoi d’autre, I think that’s all for now. Missing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment