24 June 2009

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hmm, I’m pretty sure Isabelle’s lover just left. The hall smells of smoke. Ok, I don’t really know if it’s her lover, but all of the sudden during dinner she got a phone call that he was paying a visit, so she quickly got herself ready and told me he was just dropping by for a minute and wasn’t staying long at all. I got the feeling though that she wasn’t going to introduce me, so I went into my room. Once he came, I went to the café next door to do homework. I came back at 930, and was greeted by the smell of tobacco. It wasn’t too bad, I don’t know if it was just him smoking or what, cause that was the first time it smelled. Anyway, my room smells fine. He just left though (1130), and they were just in her room the whole time. But to be fair, there is nowhere else to go but the kitchen. Amusing.
So, on Sunday I came back to the apartment and tried to open the door. Although I had the code to the building, I couldn’t open it. I could tell it was correct because it would make the unlock noise but I’d tug and tug as hard as I could on both doors and neither would budge. It was during the day so I didn’t freak out too much, but still! Finally a man came up to me and told me to push the door inward. Smart Katie. But they look like you have to pull them! Anyway, to recap Fete de la Musique, a group of around 6 of us met at the park and just perused different artists. They are playing at nearly every street corner, but none interested us too much. (Interjection: I think this might be a sleepover, he’s still here!) So it was nice to do something, but the event itself wasn’t too special. I came back at 1130, and got the door open, but didn’t know where the hall light was so I felt my way up three flights of stairs, gripping the skeleton key for dear life that no one was lurking in the corner. Reset my alarm from 1030 am to what you would think was 715 am…
Woke up Monday morning and looked at my watch. 858. Class starts at 9. I’m no rocket scientist, but I’m fairly certain that is something to fear. I was in shock for about 10 seconds, immovable, and then I went to it. Contacts, brush teeth, throw clothes on, grab backpack. Out the door in 3 minutes, a new PR to be sure (usually takes me an hour to get ready). Ran to the tram (luckily close), luckily came right away, but it still takes a few minutes to get over there. Luckily Isabelle had told me which tram to take and which stop to get off (Thanks, CUEF for giving us that info….), and luckily I remembered it without writing it down. Got into the building at 930, half hour late. They never told us our room number, so I was stuck. I then ran into Mike, who was also a few minutes late. We wandered around, listening at classroom doors, unsuccessfully. We went to the cafeteria and I asked for a public telephone. We got there, and luckily Mike had his calling card with him, and I had the profs’ phone numbers. It took us about 10 dials to get it right, and when we did, we got their voicemails. That really helps, huh? Anyway, that’s when Alex (different than earlier) ran into us. She had been on time, but didn’t know where to go. So the three of us, an hour later, “found” the group in the lobby. The other prof was really nice about it, but our prof wasn’t. Too bad it’s her opinion that counts—she’s pretty strict, and not necessarily mean but I don’t think I like her. I’m not totally outraged that she included the first day as being tardy, but I thought it was a little ridiculous. Anyway, we were just in time for the scavenger hunt, which I guess was a little helpful in finding where some things were (however, Isabelle, who used to work for CUEF, said she used to run it and it was much more helpful). Then we came back, only to be dismissed….
Four of us went to the Creperie which is a block away from my place. Good stuff! Although Mike gave away our American-ness, so the waiter spoke English the whole time. Oh well. We then went to Monoprix and I bought a notebook so that Julie (prof) wouldn’t think I was out of my mind for not having paper the first day. Je m’excuse. Then went to buy an alarm at Galleries Lafayette (huge French chain). I asked for them, and we followed where he pointed, which was leading toward lingerie? I was like, “Did I ask for this?!?!”. But alas, they were just before the lingerie. Anyway, Mike and I were then offered extra alarms by the other two with us, so we didn’t buy them.
Sidenote: I seem to be the one in many public places asking for directions, etc. I kind of like it.
We then parted ways, and I grabbed my computer and went to the park for a bit. After that, came back and I had dinner with Isabelle. We (meaning I had while she watched, per usual) had noodles and olive oil, tomatoes with cheese, and some kind of boca-burger like substance? With soy sauce no bun? It was good though. We actually talked for 2 hours. She doesn’t necessarily interrupt me, but many times I try to say something, and she just keeps talking. Sometimes I have to talk over her (which I know is rude) to communicate something. Anyway, it was good conversation, about the way technology has so rapidly changed life. But I also learned about her divorce…that’s she’s somewhat depressed…that she left the city she loved to live in Grenoble with her husband and now they’re divorced… she doesn’t have much money…all things that you are taught the French are really discrete about. She’s really nice, she’s not psycho, but still. I also find that she will ask how my day was, etc., but I have to ask her the conversation topics.
Got back to my room at 9. Whoaa!!! Started homework, finished at 1230. It was in English, and really philosophical in a ‘making something out of nothing’ way that I despise. Today woke up on time woohoo! (Oh, apparently the other day my watch reset to pm when I changed the time—why would it reset to pm? Who makes a watch like that??). Got to class on time—it was looonnnggg. Four hours for one class is difficult, especially considering the dull subject matter, “Illness”. Got out, got a sandwich with Mike, Alex (I’ll call her Alex A for now), and the other other Alex (not Alex M, I’ll call her Alex B for now). –3 Alex’s and all girls!! Anyway, I ordered a café au lait, which in this case came out of a machine. The hot milk came out, and then nothing happened….I stared at it, then removed the cup, at which point the coffee dumped all over the machine. Cool. Enjoyed my sandwich and hot milk, then came back and computered in the park again. I look like a fool skyping because it basically looks like I’m talking to myself with a computer in my lap.
Got some chocolat ice cream (finally!!!) Was so good. Walked around the block with it, and there are lots of restaurants around. Got back, and did half my homework. Ate dinner (omelet and pasta), then the lover situation happened, and you know the rest….
Ok, but really I think he did leave now. Oh! And the glacial river showers I’ve been taking should be a thing of the past now because I asked Isabelle about it, and she realized she neglected to tell me that in the shower, the hot and cold knobs are reserved, so the red one means cold. Good to know.
Other things: I think my accent may be good enough to fool these French for a bit, but then I make a grammatical mistake and they correct me and know. I told Isabelle to correct me, and she has started to a little, but not often. She says I make few mistakes, and am the most fluent student (at the beginning) she’s had (out of 5-6). Alright, long enough entry, a bientot! (with inserted correct accents)

No comments:

Post a Comment